quinta-feira, 26 de janeiro de 2017

Miss Universe 2016 comments after the Presentation Show

After watching the 2016 Miss Universe Presentation Show and the videos MUO made available on its YouTube channel, these are my comments and opinions on the candidates who in my view stood out.

This is our 18th coverage for Global Beauties, and even from a distance, it´s been fun to see as much as possible of the several events put together in the Philippines, which has been a great host country.

Miss Universe has been trying to change, and this year it claims to be looking for a woman who´s confident and capable of inspiring others. These are personal opinions, and I decided to write solely on the ones who for some (good) reason caught my attention. Here we go:



- Albania - I like her hair and unique looks. Good posture, should smile a bit more on stage.

- Argentina - It´s cool to see Argentina represented at a high level in Miss Universe. She has a striking face, great body and lots of sex appeal.

- Aruba - She totally impressed me during her evening gown presentation, reminding me of the "myth" Minorka Mercado, a Miss Venezuela who placed 3rd in Miss Universe 1994, also in the Philippines.

- Australia - I still think she´s beautiful, but her performance was not outstanding. Australia has a fair chance to place, but she is not a shoo-in, as previously thought.

- Barbados - Very pretty and elegant, the best girl from Barbados ever. But with only 12 spots, will it be enough?

- Belgium - OK, this was a surprise! What a face, this girls truly shinned and could easily pull an upset by advancing to the semi-finals on Monday morning.

- Brazil - On stage Miss Brazil complete nailed it! One of the best performances of the night, it´s a 100% chance for her to place. She might struggle when time comes to face the microphone, but until there, I doubt she will be stopped. Top 6 for sure, and then it will depend on how she does on her interview (big question mark here).

- Canada - The same bright and beautiful young woman who scored a perfect 10,0 in Miss Supranational´s preliminary interview in 2015, has all it takes to win the crown, in case Miss Universe has indeed changed its criteria. Talk about being confident and corageous! I completely adore her and hope she will fight for the crown.

- Chile - She impressed me during the competition, but not tonight. It looked like she was trying too hard and over smiling at some points. But she has good presence.

- China - OK, here is another huge surprise! One of the best performers on stage, Miss China showed plenty of confidence and elegance in a natural way. I was mesmerized and think she is 100% in!

- Colombia - One of the most beautiful faces, a nice gown choice, but I believe Colombia is in that category of "anything is possible": winning or not placing at all. I don´t know what to think here. She´s gorgeous though.

- Costa Rica - In my opinion Costa Rica has the most beautiful smile of the whole competition.

- Curaçao - Another "must be in" case, after a fearless presentation in swimsuit and gown. She was extraordinary and certainly impressed the judges.

- Dominican Republic - Statuesque Dominican Republic exudes elegance as she walks the runway. I love her long neck and her aura. Another strong bet from the Caribbean.

- France - Great body, amazing dress, flawless presentations. I wonder how she will do when interviewed. Is it finally time for France?

- Georgia - Beautiful, but where is her attitude?

- Germany - I´ve met Germany in Miss Supranational 2015 and can say that she has improved tremendously. Good for her!

- Guatemala - She does show lots of confidence and a radiant smile. I like Guatemala.

- Haiti - Great gown choice, she´s quite elegant.

- Iceland - What a face! I find Miss Iceland to be absolutely adorable and think she looked stunning in evening gown. Hope Iceland can beat the odds and advance.

- Indonesia - Superb, the best Miss Indonesia in Miss Universe ever. She lost a bit of control and almost tripped in gown, but it did not hurt her chances in my opinion. I love her beauty, attitude and personality. Indonesia will fight for the crown.

- Italy - There´s something about her that makes me think of Evelina Papantoniou, the Greek goddess who placed 2nd in Miss Universe 2001. Yet, it might  not be enough.

- Japan - I was charmed by the simple and enchanting looks of Miss Japan. I love her huge eyes and unique look.

- Kenya - Very interesting woman with a story to tell. She clearly stands out and would fit into what MUO claims to be looking for. We shall see...

- Kosovo - She impressed me in swimsuit, but not at all in gown.

- Mexico - Sexy and pretty, but with only 12 spots, I am not sure if she will make the cut. It´s possible.

- Netherlands - Interesting background, well prepared, unique. I bet she had a great preliminary interview.

- Nicaragua - What I love about Nicaragua is the fact that she makes herself noticed without all the giggling and moving around most Latins do on stage. She is classy and has that "it factor", which makes her a natural stand out. Watch out for Nicaragua!

- Panama - One of the most beautiful Latin delegates, she performed quite well on stage. How did she do in the interview?

- Paraguay - Elegant, great gown.

- Peru - I look at her and see Kamilla Salgado, media personality in her country and Miss Brazil World 2010. Stunning face, great personality, I hope to see her doing well.

- Philippines - OK, Miss Philippines did her homework right. She is lovely and looked good on stage, but I don´t see the energy or that "it factor" Pia had written all over her last year. She could be saving her best for last, we shall see.

- Portugal - Super cute, one of the best Portuguese delegates to have competed in Miss Universe in all times.

- Puerto Rico - Her stage presence is undeniable, but Puerto Rico´s face is a bit too plain in my opinion.

- Sierra Leone - Confident, unique, what a smile! I hope she will place.

- Singapore - She impressed me at some points of the competition, but tonight was not her best moment. An underdog who could still pull a surprise.

- Slovakia - It looks like she came straight from the 1970´s, with that natural beauty and "I don´t care if you find me beautiful or not" attitude. I actually like her.

- Spain - OK, talk about a surprise! I did not even remember her face until tonight, but now Spain is among my very favorites! What a beautiful, tall, elegant Spanish beauty. I believe she will go far and can fight for the crown.

- Sweden - One of the best figures of the competition, Sweden was a semi-finalist in Miss Supranational a couple of years ago. She did well, but will it be enough?

- Tanzania - Posture, charm, interesting look. Tanzania performed really well on stage.

- Thailand - With a great life story, plenty of followers and much preparation, Thailand is playing strongly and will fight for the crown. She did remarkably well.

- Ukraine - Beautiful, perhaps one of the most beautiful girls around, but does she have much to talk about? We shall see.

- USA - During the last weeks, it looked like Miss USA did not even want to be there, but tonight she shinned and seems to be back in the game. I like her face and she does have an interesting background. Remember: the USA usually wins when we do not expect it.

- Venezuela - Well prepared, charismatic, with lots of stage presence. All true. But I cannot get over her face! In my humble opinion a face is way more important than a body, and I don´t see it in Miss Venezuela. Yet, she is VENEZUELA. Nothing surprises me when it comes to the Mecca of beauty pageants.

My Top 25 picks, based on who I believe deserve to be in that Top 12: ARGENTINA, BARBADOS, BELGIUM, BRAZIL, CANADA, CHINA, COLOMBIA, CURAÇAO, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC, FRANCE, ICELAND, INDONESIA, JAPAN, KENYA, NETHERLANDS, NICARAGUA, PANAMA, PERU, PHILIPPINES, SIERRA LEONE, SPAIN, TANZANIA, THAILAND, UKRAINE, USA.

The ones I see wearing the Miss Universe crown (based on what I observed from a distance): BRAZIL, CANADA, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC, FRANCE, INDONESIA, NICARAGUA, SPAIN, THAILAND.

Best of luck to ALL!


Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário